About the Division of General Studies
Who We Are and What We Believe
The Division of General Studies, a member of the Campus Center for Advising and Academic Services, is a comprehensive advising resource for freshmen and sophomores who want to explore the academic landscape before declaring a major. It is also a place for students who are contemplating a new major direction and need time to explore before declaring their new major.
At DGS, undeclared students discover a flexible program designed to accommodate each individual's investigation of various majors and fields of study — while staying on track for graduation, too.
Our holistic approach to advising allows us to do more than answer basic questions about course selection and registration. Our academic advisors work closely with our students to determine their academic goals and to identify the best possible avenues for achieving them.
Sometimes we assist students with exploration of the nearly 200 major options and 100 minors on the Illinois campus. Other times we assist students in constructing course schedules that promote both exploration and graduation. Wherever our conversations lead us, our mission is to help each student find an academic path that is both satisfying and worthwhile.
What Should You Know About DGS?
Check out our Prospective Freshmen booklet to learn more about the DGS experience.
At any given time, there are approximately 3,100 students enrolled in DGS as undeclared students.
Approximately 23% of freshmen each year start as undeclared students in DGS.
Visit Explore DGS, a video site where former DGS students and staff talk about common questions we hear. Check it out.
We host the Majors and Minors Fair, an annual campus event bringing together our academic programs in one space so students can easily learn more about the options our campus offers.
Students in DGSociety, our registered student organization, work to promote the DGS experience, connect current and former DGS students, and gain valuable leadership experience along the way.
We feel truly honored to serve a diverse and engaged population of Illinois students. Along the way, our program and staff members have been recognized for the hard work and dedication we have for our campus students.
- "Best of ILACADA" Presentation, ILACADA Conference (2012)
Peeling Back the Layers: Asking the Right Questions
- Outstanding New Advisor Award Winner, National Academic Advising Association (2008)
- Academic Advising Research Support Grant, NACADA (2010)
Exploration of a strengths-based university 101 course with undecided students
- Robert P. Larsen Human Development Award, Illinois Counseling Center (2010)
- Outstanding New Advisor Certificate of Merit, National Academic Advising Association (2010)
Former Academic Advisor (now Director of Secondary Education Programs)
- Outstanding New Advisor Award Winner, National Academic Advising Association (2007)
General Curriculum Center (now Division of General Studies)
- Outstanding Advising Program, National Academic Advising Association (2006)
- Outstanding New Advisor Certificate of Merit, National Academic Advising Association (2006)
- Honorable Mention, Undergraduate Advisor, Recognition of Excellence in Advising, College of Liberal Arts & Sciences (2005-2006)
Former Director (now College of Business Assistant Dean)
- Program and Technology Innovation Award, General Curriculum Database, National Academic Advising Association (2005)
Former Director and Assistant Provost (now College of Media Associate Dean)
- Region Conference Best Presentation, NACADA (2006)
- Award of Excellence for Information Resources for Students, National Association of Colleges and Employers (2002)
- Outstanding General Publication, Certificate of Merit, National Academic Advising Association (2002), Skills for Success! Skills Employers Look For and How to Develop Them Now
Former Assistant Director (now College of ACES Assistant Dean)
- Campus Award for Excellence in Advising Undergraduate Students (2004)
- Academic Advising Award, College of Liberal Arts & Sciences (2003-2004)
- Honorable Mention Undergraduate Advisor, College of Liberal Arts & Sciences (2002-2003)
DGS in the News
Got some time to spare? Read up on a few news articles featuring the Campus Center for Advising and Academic Services, Division of General Studies, and our previous identity, the General Curriculum Center.
"University students attend Majors and Minors Fair"
|"Undecided students stress about choosing majors"
Daily Illini, September 12, 2010
"Students make major decisions"
"Higher Calling: LAS's highly successful General Curriculum Center is now a campuswide program"
|"UI advising center has
new location, name,
but same mission"
The News-Gazette, August 20, 2007
"It's okay to be undecided"
"General Studies office moves to Union Bookstore"
"Good Advice: LAS advising program named one of country's finest"